Starting PROVENGE—Preparing for Treatment
Once your PROVENGE treatment schedule is set, you will receive a complimentary Patient
Comfort Kit, which includes items designed to help support you during treatment sessions.
Before your cell collection procedure, you should:
- Make sure to drink more water than usual 2 to 3 days before your treatment to stay well hydrated
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages on the day of each cell collection procedure
- Eat a calcium-rich breakfast, which may include yogurt, milk, calcium-fortified orange juice or cereal, bananas, blueberries, or almonds
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing, especially clothing with sleeves that can be raised above the elbow
- Have a driver lined up for the ride home since most people feel fatigued after the cell collection procedure
Remember, PROVENGE may not affect your PSA levels
PROVENGE is specifically designed to attack your advanced prostate cancer cells.
Although your PSA levels may not decrease, PROVENGE may still help you live longer.
In clinical trials, median survival was 4.1 months longer for men that had PROVENGE (25.8 months) than for men that had placebo (21.7 months). More men in the PROVENGE group (nearly 38% more) were alive 3 years after the start of the study than men not treated with PROVENGE. Individual results may vary.
Check out online support resources and Web sites geared specifically toward caregivers.
Go there ›
Find professional societies and other organizations that can help during your prostate
Learn more ›
More than 90% of Medicare fee-for-service (FFS) patients receiving PROVENGE are expected to have minimal to no out-of-pocket
Learn more ›